Re: Curvature Calculator -Terminology glitch

Oops - Apologies to all re terminology, curves in the US are indeed measured
in degrees and grades are measured as a percentage.
I stand corrected. It looks like 50% is not a passing grade - I wonder what
does 45 degrees make?? :-) Regards, John Garaty

Kevin L. Shelton <wdepot@westerndepot.com> wrote in message
1e9al9q.ml71441udp3vgN%wdepot@westerndepot.com">news:1e9al9q.ml71441udp3vgN%wdepot@westerndepot.com...
> John Garaty <jkgaraty@1earth.net> wrote:
>
> > All,
> > For curvature, most the  "original" survey documents or the NSWGR were
> > measured in chains. I suspect that this is also the case for the
original
> > 3'6" gauge lines in Queensland, Tasmania, South Australia and Western
> > Australia. The Victorian 2'6" gauge Colac to Beech Forest track diagram
> > shows curves down to 2 chain radius (Reference "The Beechy" by N
Houghton
> > pages 4 & 5). Most narrow gauge railways (2') quote radius in either
feet or
> > metres.  These days metres are used as the dimension for curvature
radius in
> > Australia. In the US (Ever read articles in Trains, Railfan and
Railroad?
> > etc) curvature is quoted as a percentage.
> >
> Actually, curvature in the US is normally expressed in degrees. It's
> grades that are expressed in percentages.
>
> > Have fun regards, John Garaty
> >
> > David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

> > > I will put descriptions in, but not drop the chain radius.  In
Australia,