Re: NR locos

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000 11:45:49 +1000, Ben Armstrong <ba13@uow.edu.au>
wrote:
Ok i just reread what i posted and note a TYPO they are definitely
notch limited IE when set to notch 6 IE 2750 HP  you can place the
throttle in notch 6,7 or 8 and the net result is the same IE notch 6
revs and notch 6 excitation =2750 HP in all three notches
when set to notch 7=3200 HP whether you have the throttle in 7 or 8
so you can achieve exactly the same result on a single unit by not
going past notch 6 or 7.
PS the GE locos only increase revs in notch 3 and notch 6

>Just to clarify- is the HP in an NR limited by changing the maximum
>notch that the engine revs to, or some other means?
>
>I thought that the variable horsepower control would have worked by
>changing the maximum amount of fuel the governor could let the engine
>use in each notch.
>
>ie- The engine still responds to all notches the same way rev wise, but
>the fuel used and hence power output is restricted by the setting of the
>HP control.
>
>This would have the advantage of still giving 8 evenly graduated
>notches. (both powerwise and rev wise)
>

>On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, The Narc wrote:
>

>> Sorry to disappoint but it is a simple as limiting notch settings IE
>> 2750 HP =notch six that is you can place the throttle lever in notch 8
>> but it will be exactly the same as putting it in notch 8
>> 3200 HP = notch 7 same as above
>> 4000 HP = notch 8
>> >Yes Rod, I think it might be something along these lines. If the method
>> >was to simply leave all cylinders running but not allow them to develop
>> >full power you will lose efficiency as engines of this size need to be run
>> >in their most fuel efficient range, which afaik is about 75% of their
>> >maximum
>> >power. I am guessing that it would be far more efficient to run 2/3 of the
>> >cylinders
>> >at 75% than all of them at 50% but have had little success in finding out
>> >the actual
>> >mechanism used. Potentially it could be viable to use a 6 and a 10 cylinder
>> >unit
>> >so you could run 6, 10 or 16 cylinders, that way you wouldn't be having to
>> >throw
>> >all that dead weight around when some were shut down.
>> >Rod Gayford <rjaygee@eisa.net.au> wrote in message
>> >they
>> >pass

>> >For

>> Regards Paul Johnston (MNRC)
>>

>---
>Ben Armstrong                                         /
><ben.armstrong@boral.com.au>  /  ___  |_||_||_||_|  _ _   |_|  ___
><ratso_101@hotmail.com>      //|| | |    Ratsara   | | |  | | | | |
>ICQ #: 1434 3878                 0-0                0-0        0-0

Regards Paul Johnston (MNRC)