Re: The first goose cars

eikkert@my-deja.com wrote in message <8d9bck$ktp$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>Could I just track what have happened to the First goose cars over the
>years:
>
>DCF => DMT (1981)
>DDC (is this correct?) -> DTC (without cab?) -> DDT (1981)
>DTF => DFT
>
>Is the above correct? And if I remember correctly, interurbans became
>one class in 1973, what were the class arrangements for the old goose
>trains?

Getting close:

Power cars (DCF 8001-8008):  one destroyed at Glenbrook, seven became DMT
trailers (9201-9207??)
Driving trailers (DDC 9001-9004) became DDT (9208-9211??)
Trailers DTC 9011, DTC 9012, DTF 9021, DFT 9022 became DFT (9212-9215??)
Some of the old trailers ran unmodified for a while around 1980 (i.e. set
marshalled something like DIM-DTC-DDC-DCM).

The original design had the brake compressor on the trailer, which is why
these cars have a shorter double-deck section (one short window shorter)
than the later DCM/DCT/DIM/DIT etc etc.  The "conversion" from "U" set
trailer to "V" set trailer involved little other than removing the redundant
compressor.  The conversion of the ex-motor cars involved turning the
guard/driver compartment into a toilet.

BTW, the original 1970-vintage sets were known as "Blue Goose" for no
obvious reason. The newer cars with gold-tinted windows were known as
"Golden Goose" for a while.

Now a query:  what's the difference between a DCM and a DTM and between a
DCT and a DTD?

Rgds

Bill