Re: Curvature Calculator

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000 19:39:02 +0100, Julian Hayward wrote:

=>In article <hcFJ4.56$Da1.3580@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net>, HXP1
=><hxp1@bigfoot.com> writes
=>
=>>The chain I know has 66 feet.  (And 100 links IIRC)
=>
=>Indeed.
=>
=>1 rod (aka pole, perch) = 5.5 yards
=>1 chain = 4 rods = 22 yards
=>1 furlong = 10 chains = 220 yards
=>1 mile = 8 furlongs = 1760 yards

In the 50s, when I was enrolled in an Engineering program for 4 semesters (at
U of Alberta, Edmonton), we used a decimal chain of 100ft. We also used 10ths
of a foot. Our tapes and rods were marked accordingly. The 66ft chain was
called a surveyor's chain, and presented as an historical curiosity.

Best wishes,

Wolf Kirchmeir -- wolfkir@onlink.net
Blind River , Ontario

Imagination is more important than reason.
(Albert Einstein)