Re: Productivity Commission Final Report Progress in Rail Reform

In article <8d666j$nui@mo.nabaus.com.au> "Peter Mason" <Peter_Mason@nag.national.com.au> writes:
>From: "Peter Mason" <Peter_Mason@nag.national.com.au>
>Subject: Productivity Commission Final Report Progress in Rail Reform
>Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 14:15:35 +1000

>The following is from ->
>http://www.pc.gov.au/inquiry/rail/finalreport/index.html#publish

>The Final Report, Progress in Rail Reform
>http://www.pc.gov.au/inquiry/rail/index.html was released on 13 April 2000.
>Also released was a supplement to the Inquiry Report, An Assessment of the
>Performance of Australian Railways, 1990 to 1998 -
>http://www.pc.gov.au/inquiry/rail/supplement/index.html

>The Minister of Transport and Regional Services has issued a media release
>(external link).

>Printed copies of this report (catalogue number 9924974, RRP $19.95) can be
>purchased from AusInfo. It is published on this website in a Winzip archive
>(containing pdf files) and as individual pdf files.

Having read thru the reccommendations of this report , I can understand why
the Feds have waited so long to release it.
I doubt whether any of the recomendations will get up,simply because in most
cases its not within the power of the Feds to do anything,and it will cost
heaps of dough.
The Feds have attached the funding to rail reform , ie no progress in reform
then no federal funding.
Part of the reform is a single national rail operator for the interstate track
from Brisbane to Perth. (I can just see this getting up.!!).
The report itself though is a good one and does seriously identify the
problems that are facing rail today , mind you most of the problems are well
known anyway.I suspect that this report will go the same way as the other 26
rail reports that have been commissioned in the last 20 years have gone .

cheers
MD