Re: IP route tilt train?

>Would anyone consider it possible to replace the current GSR IP with a tilt
>train (or something quick) on the Sydney - Adelaide - Perth lines or would
>this require track upgrading?

How fast does the current IP run on straight, level good condition track? 120km/hr?

If thats the case, due to the very long straighish run from Parkes to Perth, it would be cheaper to
upgrade the IP rollingstock to 140 or 150km/hr. 2000km at 20km/hr faster is about 3hrs saving.
But I would say getting rid of the slow traffic control measures in NSW would come close to
adding that and more.

But remember, the IP is a tourist train, not PT. How many more people would you get, proberly
less than the extra fuel cost.

Maybe a budget XPT or simular running 160+ twice a week across from Perth to Mel or Syd
might get some people out of buses. Doubt it would have an impact on planes or cars.

Shane