Re: [NSW] Cityrail Grades

Andy B wrote:

> "Chris Downs" <cvdowns@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> phYI4.3882$5D.7926@ozemail.com.au">news:phYI4.3882$5D.7926@ozemail.com.au...
> > I'll take largest to mean steepest (not in degrees or %, sorry):
> >
> > On passenger lines:
> > 1 in 30 compensated - Wynyard to Harbour Bridge
> > 1 in 31 or 32 in spots on ESR?? (not in my grade book)
> > 1 in 31, 32 & 33 Blue Mountains many stints between Valley Heights and
>
> Can someone please explain what this 1 in 30 or 1 in 31 etc means?   From
> what I understand it means how steep the line may be in a particular
> section, but that's about it.

It is a measure of the steepness of the track.  1 in 30 is very steep for
railway operations.  1 in 500 is nowhere near as steep.

For those who are interested, I just spent 4 hours trying to work out
Javascript, and have just put a new page on my website at
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/grade.htm which will convert between rise
over run, percentage and angle of rise.  Any comments appreciated.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au