Advantage of loop lines

Firstly the track outside redfern is repaired, the train was towed away
(presumably to Flemington) at about 10AM Sunday morning and trains were
using the section of track with a speed limit of 20kph at the accident
point.

But the purpouse of my rant is a recent post asking why north shore
trains ran through to the west instead of temrinating at Central.

Today there was trackwork and western trains used Sydney Terminal
instead of the North Shore line.

I caught the 6:59 Hurstville - Sydney Terminal service. We left
Hurstville on time. We arrived at Redfern on time and sat there waiting
for trains coming in and out to get out of our way. We got to Central 10
minutes late.

Okay blame the derailed cars blocking the real entrance to Sydney
Terminal, but at 9:58 I caught a Parramatta - Sydney Temrinal. by this
time the train was cleared and the track was being used by all trains.

We left Parra 1 minute early and Strathfield on time. At Newtown we
stopped for 10 minutes. The guard said "the red signal is due to a train
pile up" (he later announced "that is trains behind each other not on
top") we proceeded to crawl our way to Redfern and inched ahead with a
big mess of trains. I managed to see five trains at once from my
viewpoint, all crawling or held at red signals signals. We arrived at
Sydney Terminal 25 minutes late.

I think this is one massive vote for our current system. From today's
experience I'd say that the big terminal with criss-crossing tracks is
not appropriate for a system of such volume as Sydney is.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.