Re: Coding on Goods Rollingstock.

Railway Rasputin II (bob@fastlink.com.au) won a Nobel Prize for literature by writing:
> Whilst sitting on my cab, solving all the problems of the world, I
> observed a goods train passing (goods train, not freight train as we are
> not in America although you might thinks so some times), I noticed the
> coding of the waggons and I saw one with the letter "E" as the first
> number. Now N being for NSW and V for Vic etc but what does E stand for?
> Or should I say who owns it?

There was a thread about this a while ago.

A = Australian National, now ASR
E = Austrac
N = NSWGR, then SRA, now FreightCorp (and RSA?)
P = Private owner
Q = QR (also used on GSPE cars)
R = National Rail
S = SCT
T = TNT
V = V/Line, then V/Line Freight, then Freight Victoria, now Freight Australia
W = Westrail

Cheers
David