Re: Why Wooden Sleepers are better. Was [NSW] CityRail DelaysFriday

May I point out that in Japan, France and everywhere else running very fast
trains, concrete and steel sleepers are the norm. And in the Hunter Valley,
the line on which full coal trains operate has been relaid with concrete
sleepers whilst the other line (down line) has not in some areas.

Wood dissappeared. They no longer make wooden sleepers in NSW. They are
running heavier, faster trains, and need track to support it.

In Sydney, the Main North, Western, and Southern Highlands lines have
recieved a lot of concrete sleepers, whilst those that recieve little or no
freight still have a lot of wooden sleepers. I think that summarises fairly
well why they use concrete.

BTW, why do they use Iron sleepers in Roma Street, Brisbane, so close to a
river and the coast?

Brendan