Re: G 543, X 38, SM 7

Aus loco discussion mailing list

Good afternoon all,

For those of us "Mexicans" lucky enough to be rostered off, the sight and
sound of SM7 Austrac hauled by GM22 and 4814 was worth the wait in the 30
degrees plus heat today.

I waited in the shade of a tall pine tree on the grade between Kilmore East
and Wandong. At 11:48 the train could be heard with the GM drowning out the
48 steadily climbing up the valley with what appeared to be a full goods
load. Every container slot in the long train was filled. Train length
estimated to be 900m-1000m.

I then had plenty of time to beat it to Heathcote Junction where speed had
reduced to walking pace, with the sound of the GM echoing through the hills,
as it conquered the highest point on the Victorian SG.

Only a couple of other chasers around to record the event in brilliant
sunshine, albeit a bit hot!

Regards

Peter J. Sweetten
Craigieburn, Victoria
E-mail: aeropics@tig.com.au
ICQ # 9637565
View my Rail Images Australia website at:
 http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~aeropics/rail.htm