Re: Re. New Railtour Operator

Aus loco discussion mailing list

----- Original Message -----
From: John
Sent: Saturday, 26 February 2000 8:48
Subject: Re. New Railtour Operator

Aus loco discussion mailing list

1401 has to work under the wires at Armadale and is indeed permitted to.

Xa1401 has been modified to the extent that part of the roof has been cut away to accomodate the muffler thus lowering its overall height. This took some years to achieve successfully.All other locos have their mufflers sitting on top of the roof. Mind you when introduced they were unmuffled- the mind boggles!! To those on the eastern seaboard I should point out that Armadale is on the southern extremity of the metro area and for any tour operator to run a successful trip you need to pile the punters onto the train at Perth, not Armadale or Midland where leaving one's car parked for a considerable period of time will make it susceptible to break-ins etc. unfortunately, due to the aformentioned clearance problems, it is just about nigh on impossible to run a trip out of Perth with XAs or any other class of loco.

it appears sadly, that ARHS WA has no interest in returning these magnificent machines to operating condition, and hiring them out to an accredited rail tour operator.

XA1405 is under cover at Midland workshops where it is undergoing radiator repairs. XA1402 is unfortunately stored out in the open at the ARHS Museum at Bassendean. It too requires radiator repairs along with electrical work. It is not that the ARHS doesn't want to repair it, it is just time and cost which is the bugbear.

I would love to see these machines running again to relive the old days when with oil pouring down the sides they used to smoke their way around Western Australia. Unlike Alcos which used to smoke when notching up, X (a & b) locos used to constantly pour out volumes of smoke, blue-white when starting up, then grey and finally black in 10th notch. X1005,1011,1013,1021,1028,1031,Xa1407,1411,1413 and Xb 1032 were particularly notorious.

Cheers

NMF