Alice Springs, 23-24/2

Aus loco discussion mailing list

Hello, everybody! (Hi, Doctor Nick!  Oh, how I miss my weekly "Simpsons
fix")

With 3AL7N running behind time (eventually arrived nearly 3 hours late),
the value of a "semi-stored" loco became apparent.  At about 1855, DL39
was started up, and proceeded to shunt the yard, assembling the loading
for this morning's 5LA6N, which was pretty much the wagons from Tuesday
evening's arrival (the well set was only single-stacked).

I checked the yard at 2130: there was still no sign of the arrival, so I
went home to bed.  Just lay down when on the scanner I heard the driver
call the yard to advise he was just crossing Bradshaw Street (just north
of "the Gap"), so back out of bed and down trackside.  Train was NR28 /
double-stacked 5-well / 5-pack / 2-pack / 2 flats / 3-pack / 5-pack with
centre well / 2 flats / 3-pack / 5-pack (with one empty slot) / 3 flats
= 35 wagons; arrival was 2243.  If my nights get much later, you could
start calling me "Ivar" or "Danny"!

My assumption is that NR28 ran this morning's 5LA6N, and DL39 has gone
back to bed, though I have yet to see the DL to confirm this - it's not
in its usual spot, but I haven't looked further along the yard yet.

"depression is merely anger without enthusiasm"

Regards,

Peter Donaghy
Relieving Manager, Alice Springs
ph. 08 8952 6020