RE: Boosters/Slugs (Was RE: BU1)

Aus loco discussion mailing list

'X' / 'XA' / 'Y' class were all originally vacuum fitted - of these, only the 'Y' class were seriously considered for conversion to air brake - of these, only Y1 and Y5 were actually converted and are still in use as shunters (now re-numbered 2150 / 2151).  Despite the brake conversion, they still cannot MU with their larger EE brethren.

Throttle-wise, the earlier EE's did have notched throttles but to quote an earlier posting by Mike Dix  "The later EE locos in Australia did not have 'notched' throttles. From the off position they went to a 'minimum power notch' after which power application was 'infinitely variable up to the maximum power position'".
There would be jumper cable issues also.

Melanie Dennis
Australian Steam Group
meld.asg@netspeed.com.au