CLF5 Catches Fire

Aus loco discussion mailing list

To ausloco disscussion mailing list

Evening all,
           At about 10:30pm SA time Wednesday night I was waiting for 4161
Tailem Bend grain train to go through Mitcham but it stop at one station
before(Hawthorn). So I decided to go down and have a look and was confronted
by lots of black smoke. The train was hauled by CLF2/GM42/CLF5 and 40
hoppers. A problem on CLF5 caused the two other locos to suffer ground
relays but then a fire broke out in the air-con unit in CLF5. The fire
spread to air brake equipement and electrical gear under the cab floor. It
took about 45minutes to extinguish the blaze with four fire extinguishers
and help from the fire brigade. The train was cancelled and hauled back to
Dry Creek by four other locos 700/CLP/CLP/830. I didn't see the numbers.
Today at work an inspection took place after the removal of the air-con
unit. At least $50-100,000 dollars damage was caused but the loco will be
fixed at the Clyde MPC.

Cheers,Justin Cheary