Re: Canterbury-Campsie 10/2/00

Aus loco discussion mailing list

>From: Scott Martin <semartin@idx.com.au>
>Subject: Re: Canterbury-Campsie 10/2/00
>Date: Sat, 12 Feb 00 10:38:55 +1100
>
>Aus loco discussion mailing list
>
>Ivar,
>      I have an NR  customer document dated 1 July 1999 that claims the
>-SA5 service runs M-Th and Sat. Since it has the same 'cut-off' timing
>for loadings as -SM5 M-Th, it could well be the same train. I can only go
>off what the operator-issued documents say.
>
>Scott
Afternoon all,
Scott, SA5 stopped running as a separate train shortly after the 80 class
were returned to Fright Corp and the loading was attached to SM5 to Melb
where it was added to an Adel train.
As far as I am aware this is still the case.
Maybe from a marketing point NRC "seels" this service as if it was a train
in its own right.
A pity it doesn't run anymore as shortly before its demise it usually ran
with double, triple and quad 80 class. They sounded good coming towards
Picton when I used to live there. You could sometimes hear the Alcos
climbing Spaniards hill when the atmospherics were right and could still
hear them going thru Redbank tunnel & Tahmoor.
Sorry for the Digression, but I am one of the peculiar breed who likes 80
class (and most other Alcos).
Regards
Ivar