Re: NRR 42206

Aus loco discussion mailing list

>How does the hauling power of the 421 & 422 compare with the 44 ? I have all
>the books here with the data such as house power etc but in the "real world"
>were the 44 , 421 & 422 interchangable as to hauling power?

In the deep south (Albury - Junee) 'mainline" locos were allowed 615 tonnes
(600 tons). In the real world the ease with which the various class of
"mainliner" did the job was, in order, easiest to hardest - 422, 442, 45,
421/44.
422s were always the best to have on any train. Quick off the mark and good
pullers.
442s were pretty good but too slow accelerating for the Spirit or Daylight
with all its stops.
45s were not as fast as the newer locos but they could pull a great load;
their sheer 'lugging' ability was fantastic (but not as good as a 48er).
421s were so-so performers (but great at dropping staffs).
44s struggled with a full load but on demanding schedule and a less than
full load they were great racehorses especially the mark 1s.

According to "Modern Locomotives" published by NSWGR:-
42 CTE 61250lb @ 9mph; load and speed on 1 in 40 720tons @ 9 mph.
421 CTE 70900lb @ 6.9mph; load and speed on 1 in 40 630 tons @ 11.25 mph.
422 CTE 70920lb @ 7.7mph; load and speed on 1 in 40 630 tons @ 11.25mph.
44 mk1 GE motors CTE 47100lb @ 11.5mph;load and speed on 1 in 40 600 tons @