ADMIN was Re: Canterbury happenings 7/2/00

Aus loco discussion mailing list

It is quite normal to see one discussion lead into another and go from one topic to another. This is acceptable if the new topic is still related to the guidelines however as we have seen demonstrated by Michael tonight (Thank you for showing everyone how) it is very easy to switch a non topical discussion to another list. Hopefully this way we will keep this list only for locomotive based information rather than generalized rail discussion.
Bob

Scott Martin wrote:

> Aus loco discussion mailing list
>
> Aus.loco'ers
>              Having had a day off today, and being keen to follow Stuart
> Ellis' tip on EL58/62 on 4168 freight (thanks Stuart),

snip

Bob,

> 14:55 - 8044/4884 returned with its train of steel products, having
> looked like it had take on some more cargo at Cooks River or Botany (?).
> I am intrigued by this unusual bulk train of steel. Can anyone explain
> what this train is and where it originates/terminates ?.

This is where there is going to be a bit of a problem. The following comment
very correctly talks about the locomotives hauling the train but the posting
then leads into a query regarding the origin of the train - something that I
would naturally do myself. However, judging by the various remarks and
decisions taken over the weekend, this part of the posting is now "off topic"
and should be taken over to AusRailTalk. And to make matters worse, if the
post continued by noting that a couple of the wagons were unusual, then they
should be discussed over at AusRollingStock. This means 3 postings of related
material to 3 places where not all will see them and enable a correct and
quick answer to be posted.

I am not for one minute suggesting that the decisions of the weekend were
incorrect but I do think that some leniency should be allowed and so could
you please adjudicate on this. I did post last week that AusLoco, to my mind,
should allow some spread of discussion to the trains hauled by the locos
including scheduling but without the political barrow pushing sometimes
associated with heated discussion.

David Langley.

p.s. my final list posting on the matter but I do think that the point has to
be made.