Re: S313 (was Santa Fe fever hits Melbourne)

Aus loco discussion mailing list

The reality is that the tourist dollar is now more important, this is not a
preservation group decisions, but rather a way to fight for survival. One of
the main problems that these groups are facing is the lack of support from
the railfans. Lets face it, is there any tour that can be run that hasn't
been done before. The mainstream of the hobby are in the older age group, so
being in the hobby for quite some time and doing many tours over the years,
there are very little options for new ideas. Are these people still going on
tours just to go somewhere/or travel behind the same loco that they have
already gone to/traveled behind, or are they limiting to tours that are
something different? So are these groups painting rolling stock to be
different to attract the railfans back? It maybe a smart move. Like I said
in my last post, as long as one correctly preserved class member has been
done properly, why is there a need for a few to be all done the same. When
it comes to the V/Line livery, the reality is it is still not appreciated,
as there are still plenty of FV locos in this livery. Appreciation comes
when something is gone.
Over the last few years what have been the highlights? For me it has been,
GM36 being restored by Seymour. RTM and ACT specials to Melbourne. Look at
these events, they all evolve around liveries that are not Victorian.
Personally these event grabbed my interest as how often do I see these
trains/liveries. For me to ride a tour it has be something good. A VR or
V/Line liveried S313 to Echuca would have not seen me show any interest
towards it, especially when a three different liveried Patrick's train
(CLP12-CLP8-GM19. green silver/orange/green) was arriving just over an hour
after the tours departure from Spencer Street. Last week's R700 transfer was
something different. It got me on board. What a colorful train, not just a
VR liveried loco with red cars. Just look at your photos, this consist
probably would not be repeated. It may not be original liveried, but it was
something different.
With B80 being repainted into that modified UP livery. I bet its going to
congested in the Adelaide hills when it starts running. Just remember it has
not been restored to a VR/V/Line livery. And why have you been so quick to
post photos on your web site of B80 and S313 in their new liveries? Would it
have gained as much interest if they were in VR or V/Line livery.
As I said before the railfans are not supporting these groups, they are now
looking at the tourist market as a revenue earner instead, as charters for
non railfans now seem  to be on the increase, so image may now be an issue
to separate these groups.

This topic is now going off the guidelines, so if anyone would like to
continue this debate, it may be advisable to continue on the new
"RailAusTalk". See you there!!!

>> Well put it this way, if S313 ran the tour last Saturday in V/Line
livery,
>> how much interest would have there been in it. There are still three FV
S's
>> running around in this livery, so being in a new livery certainly
attracted
>> the interest from many - It got me (and many others) out early that
morning
>> to see it.
>
>You are probably right that there wouldn't have been as much interest in it
but
>Steamrail is not a commercial operator. Preserving a locomotive means
preserving
>it in an authentic livery as well. If you don't paint the loco in a livery
that
>it has been painted in during its service life with a commercial operator
then
>there is no difference between Steamrail and GNRS, WCR or Australia
Southern,
>who all operate old Clyde/GM locos but in a new livery.
>
>> Even if it was painted in VR livery, haven't we seen it all
>> before. A new livery is always a center of attention and how many more
extra
>> passengers did it attract to the tour. Dose everything have to preserved
in
>> VR livery, I don't think so (as long as at least one member from each
>> preserved class has been correctly restored).
>
>If it isn't in one of its old liveries then it isn't preserved, its a
simple as
>that. The dictionary meaning of preserve is "maintain (a thing) in its
existing
>state." For an operational preservation group I would modify the definition
>slightly to this one: "Maintain it in one of its previous states with
minimal
>alterations required for modern operation."  This is my interpretation of
what
>operational preservation should mean because it is still close to the
dictionary
>meaning. When a group starts creating their own liveries this is no longer
>preservation, they are just another rail operator.
>
>> For instance, is there really
>> a need for three 'high nose' T class to be restored into VR livery, why
>> hasn't at least one been restored into V/Line livery. This livery is now
>> part of history on this type of loco.
>
>I would like to see T364 repainted into the V/Line livery. It would add a
little
>bit of variety to Steamrail's diesel fleet without painting it into a new
livery
>that isn't historically accurate.
>
>> And why are there no locos in 'Teacup"
>> livery, there are a few locos preserved that wore this livery, but have
been
>> painted into VR livery. As it has been stated, S313 will be restored into
VR