Re: Just another day

Aus loco discussion mailing list

In my opinion, their is nothing at all wrong with the S class locomotives to
re-enter service as a leading unit. They are clean and comfortable. I believe
the three units in service have been sound-proofed, and are very quiet.
When you look at the Unions views, they state that the S class must not lead
under any circumstances. Whats the difference in cab standards between a T
class (which can operate as a leading unit) and an S class?? The S class has
much more cab room, and a more comfortable seat than a T class. Both lack
air-conditioning and fridges. Noise levels are probably pretty much the same,
however I believe the T class would be only slightly quieter here. The S class
also has a dynamic brake, making it the more ideal loco to lead on a heavy
train to assist train handling and braking requirements.
There was and is still a rumor going around FV, that at least two of the FV S
classes will have full cab mods to allow them to operate as lead units. S 301
and S 307 were the two units....the two in better condition. Modifications
required would probably include the fitting of Air Conditioners, new TTB and
ETE radio equipment, Bremshey style seats, more soundproofing, a cab redesign,
new slide type side windows, fitting of a fridge, probably a toilet.....
The need for additional horsepower will only increase in the next few months
for FV, with a few extra/new contracts set to begin within one month. The
demand for every available unit to be in service should see the need for the
remaining stored T classes to be brought back into service....Their is only
about 3 or 4 more stored!!!