Freight Victoria Train Control Travel

Aus loco discussion mailing list

Hi All,

The Week from 16/01/2000 to 21/01/2000, Freight Victoria gave me a week to Travel the North Western Broad and Standard Gauge Lines, and the Robinvale and Kulwin Lines.  Below is a breif description of what I encountered and did.  Sorry for the latness of this trip but I have been somewhat rather busy and finding time can be a problem.  I have taken a few photo's and scanned some, I hope to put them on my web page soon, however if any one would like to view the photo's I have please email off list, and I wills end them to you.

Sunday 16/01/2000,

I needed to pick up a company car so I could get around a bit, so I traveled per the 1315 down Maryborough goods 9121 as far as Ballarat, and then returned to home with the car.

Monday 17/01/2000,

I took off from home and headed for Portland via Colac, on arrival at Portland G529 G539 and H3 were all in the fuel point, not much moving on that day.  had a good look around at the ports and rail yards. From Portland headed for Maroona stopping at Heywood, Glen Thompson and Willura, visit Maroona and operations and Arrarat. At Maroona saw G520 on 9792 and travelled on G529 and G539 from Maroona to Pyrenes Loop and return on G538 and G528. I headed off to Stawell for a nights rest.

Tuesday 18/01/2000,

Headed West then North,  Had a quick look at Horsham and back to Murtoa, were I was shown around the Marmlake Grain area (huge), G539 was stabled at Murtoa for use on a train later that night.  From there off to Warracknabeel and the Wheat Sidings at Warrackside. then across to Donald.  From there I needed to do a little zig zaging to allow me to see as much as possible.  So from Donald it was off to Litchfeild, Massey, Watchem, Birchip, Kinabulla, Cuyro. then cross country to Beulauh Hoptoen and cross back to Woomeland, from there headed North to Oyuen, stopping of at the various sidings along the way, arriving at Oyuen at at 1830.  I decided, to drive out to Pinnaroo, and stayed overnight.

Wednesday 19/01/2000,

Headed back to Oyuen and Mildura, checking out the locations along the way such as Carina, Cowangie, Underbool, Galah, and all the sidings to Mildura.  met up with a mate of mind who happens to be one of the Drivers at Mildura,  (only 4 drivers on roster at Mildura),  he took me out to Yelta and Merbein, I had the chance to meet up with one of managers from Wakefeilds Transport, who supplys teh loading for 9141/9140, I had to stand in the fridge for about 5 minutes and as it was 42 outside  there were no complaints from me.  I went to work with the driver freind of mind and we shunted all the sidings in Milidura and Merbien. and I then went to Ouyen and back with the crew, on 9140.

Thursday 20/01/2000,

A huge day ahead today, I started a little later about 7.30am, and finished about 9pm.  I left Mildura, and went to the following locations in this order,  Robinvale, Mananagatang, Kulwin, Mittyack, a few other sidings enroute to Sea Lake where S301 and G521 Stabled. I then headed to Ultima, and Swan Hill, Quambatook, Wycheproof, Boort, Korong Vale, Inglewood, Bridgewater, and then cross to St Aruand, where I stayed the night.

Friday 21/01/2000,

I was getting rather tired and missing my wife and children heaps, I headed north to Sutherland Loop, and back to Dunolly and Maryborough, stopping at  Emu and Bealiaba, and then to Talbot, and headed home and then to Transport house to drop the car off.

A total of 3250 km's and a very well worth trip as it opens your eyes from when you are sitting in Train Control you picture the loactions. as metioned I have some photo's so you want to take alook just email me off list.

Steve Dalton
Train Controller Freight Vic.