Re: WANTED: AusLoco Administrator

Aus loco discussion mailing list

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000 Patrick wrote:

>Aus loco discussion mailing list
>
>It has become painfully obvious that a number of AusLoco Subscribers are not
>capable of honouring the Guidelines for the 'List and insist on using it to
>Post their own non relevant, personal views and opinions. And in a lot of
>cases,
>simply 'push their own barrow'.
>Unfortunately, AusLoco is fast becoming a Mailing List version of the
>AusRail Newsgroup.

>I MIGHT ADD, THAT I WILL BE REMOVING MYSELF AS THE NOMINATED ADMINISTRATOR
>AND LIST OWNER THIS WEEKEND. AND ONCE THIS OCCURS AUSLOCO WILL NO LONGER BE
>AN ACTIVE MAILING LIST ON THE LISTBOT SERVER.
>IF ANYONE WISHES TO TAKE OVER THIS TASK THEN it will be possible for AUSLOCO
>TO CONTINUE.

I'd like to echo the comments made by the other subscribers about the
value of this list and to thank Patrick not only for thinking it up
and initiating it but also in keeping it up and running. I'd be very
disappointed to see the list close and for his hard work and
commitment come to nothing.

As I read his note it struck me that there's been a lot of behind the
scenes work that we were unaware of and that would have made Patrick's
role more difficult and time consuming than we'd realised. It seemed
to me also that  and the "health" of the list is really a matter for
all of us, not just Patrick alone. Maybe one solution for the workload
that seems to have fallen onto Patrick would be for us to "self
regulate" the list. By this I mean, if one or more of us has a problem
with a posting or a thread, we say so and remind each other of the
topic guidelines with a response to the list, rather than with one to
Patrick asking him to be our policeman for us.

To be honest, I'm not sure how well a such a self regulation system
would work but if we act reasonably and with courtesy to each other,
it could be the way to go.

Peter Nash