Re: DOO In Sydney?

David,

Thanks for agreeing with me on Simon Lane.

It is obvious that he was picked up for a reason and DOO is (in my opinion)
that reason.

Trains can run without guards, this doesn't mean that someone shouldn't be
employed (in addition to the Driver) on Sydney's Sparks. But as someone else
suggested their jobs would be different.

V/Line Pass is proof of this on the Sprinters, these could be run DOO
(technically they are) but a Conductor is on every train  even though most
are outer Suburban services when compared to where Sydney runs its
electrics. It gets back to accepting change to protect employment, in
Melbourne the Conductors do most of the jobs of the guard except they have
no Safeworking duties, in addition they are responsible for passengers,
tickets, Public Address annoucements etc. etc.

As a matter of fact trains can and do run without Drivers, the technoligy is
there now its just got to be cost restrictive at the moment, (but then again
so where computers not so many years ago).

Bob.

37EF6A80.4E083A9E@ozemail.com.au">news:37EF6A80.4E083A9E@ozemail.com.au...