Re: Railcar shell in Canberra

Dave Malcolm <keithm@happy.dca.gov.au> wrote in message
keithm.342.37EF170A@happy.dca.gov.au">news:keithm.342.37EF170A@happy.dca.gov.au...

> The AUPT, Australian Urban Passenger Train (I think).
>
> Dave Malcolm
> P.S. It was burnt out accidently by the local fettlers while buning off in
the
> yard.

I've just found a mention of it in the August 1975 Digest -

"D13. 133 Australian Urban Passenger Train:
This federally sponsored project has progressed to Stage 2 of the programme.
The Australian Department of Transport called registration for tenders by
invitation on 31/6 for the design and construction of 18 prototype AUPT
vehicles. Registration closed on 10/6. The two  mock-up driving cabs for the
AUPT (mentioned in D13. 62) arrived by road in Canberra during mid-June and
were sighted for several days at Kingston Station prior to their removal by
a Department of Manufacturing Industry truck for storage (presumably at
Fyshwick). It is understood that the side driving position mock-up is
modelled on the cab layout of the PTC's 3805 and 4011 series double deck
suburban electric cars. A display featuring the AUPT was held at the
Lakeside Hotel in Canberra on 29-30/7."

Unfortunately I don't have the earlier issue they refer to.
--
Regards,
Chris Stratton