Re: Morrison Knudsen Corp (Whyalla)

dirtcircuitvideos <dirtcircuitvideos@bigpond.com> wrote in message
01bf04f1$93a29b40$LocalHost@default">news:01bf04f1$93a29b40$LocalHost@default...
> I presume that this Company has ceased
> operations at The Reconditioning Works
> at Whyalla.
> I  paid a visit to this site on Tuesday and
> noticed several Locos in Storage there,
> some in a dismantled state and others
> seeming to be intact.
>
> Can some one shed some light on these
> Three Locos .  BU4L , BU3C , BU2Q  all
> in AN colours and intact as I could make out.
> also  MKA7  a strange looking thing.
>
> Dose any one know whom I could  contact
> to find more of  the above companies plans for
> these Locos and also several others on this
> Site , are they to be scrapped or moved elsewhere.
>
> I also noticed Transfield Engineering replacing
> track and sleepers along the BHP Ore line
> to " Iron Monarch / Baron".
>
> Your help is appreciated,
>

> --
> Dirtcircuit Videos
>  Email:  dirtcircuitvideos@bigpond.com
> Photos: http://www.railpage.org.au/pix/Peterborough/
> Yours in The Steam
>   Robin

The BU class was a Tractive Effort Booster Unit and are rebuilt 600 class
ALCO locos. One of their intended uses was on the Leigh Creek coal trains
but I don't think they were very successful.
The MKA loco could be one of the rebuilds they did on the ex-Tasrail locos
(ZB or ZC?) which were originally QR English Electrics.
--
Regards,
Chris Stratton