Horrible Hillside (Melbourne, Vic.)

I had yet another nightmare journey from home to Spencer St today.
Hillside, like most Kennett projects, is all slogan and no substance.

For an 8.40 departure from Spencer St I could't trust the 8.03 ex Surrey
Hills, 8.32 at Spencer St.
I caught the 7.33.
Both ticket machines were not working.
The red emergency button gave a dial tone for 2 minutes with no answer.
The 7.33 came at 7.37.
It arrived at Flinders St in time to form its advertised continuation, the
7.59 Glen Waverley, but didn't: that train left from an adjacent platform,
while mine formed the 8.05 Lilydale.  At 8.10, it still hadn't gone.
All passengers were evicted from the train while a second set was coupled
at the rear.  The train left at 8.18, having delayed me for 19 minutes
unnecessarily.

One could hope that 'A new train of thought' would have eliminated the
unnecessary removal of passengers from the train.  It is common in Europe
to split and combine (and even shunt from one platform to another) with
passengers aboard.

Coming home:
The train arrived at Spencer St at 22.35.  There was no available
connection to the 22.42 down (from Flinders St, not running via Spencer
St); and the next was at 23.30 (despite the 6 year promise of common
Saturday and Sunday timetables).

Once we have a loop, all trains should use it.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor