Re: Alice-Darwin and East Timor

In article <FXlE3.16215$1E2.118654@ozemail.com.au> "Ian McFadyen" <imcfadyen@ozemail.com.au> writes:
>From: "Ian McFadyen" <imcfadyen@ozemail.com.au>
>Subject: Re: Alice-Darwin and East Timor
>Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 17:14:16 +1000

>Very good point. One of the main reasons for developing rail connections to
>the far north is to enhance our responsiveness in military and other
>emergency situations. Rail is an essential tool for the rapid transport of
>food, supplies, troops and in the case of attack or natural disaster,
>evacuation. Perhaps one good thing that might emerge from the current
>unpleasantness with Indonesia is a realisation that a rapid, heavy duty rail
>line from Darwin to the southern states needs to be completed sooner rather
>than later.

>Ian McFadyen

I suggest that you all have a read of the Defence depts submission to the
AustralAsia Railway Consortium on the building of the AP - Darwin line.
Its available on the NCCs web site.
In essence it states that if there were to be such a railway built then the
Defence Dept would use it as would any other commercial user if there was any
need to do so.
It also states that there is no specific defence need that would require the
railway to built in its own right.
For Rail to provide a quick easy method to transport anything to Darwin from
anywhere else, requires that there are sidings available at military
establishments where trains can be quickly loaded.
These days , its much faster to fly everything we need fo Darwin in Hercules
aircraft.

MD