Re: VIC: Upfield to Somerton

: I am just wondering about the status of the line between Upfield and
: Somerton:
: - Is the line still all intact and broad gauge from Upfield to Somerton?

Still there, I think the points to the ford siding are spiked for main line
running, ie down to Upfield.  Then there is the dual gauge (gaultant?) from
ford sidings to Somerton.  You would need to staff the signal box at Somerton
to run a train.  it is currently only staffed in the morning.

: - If so, what is the safeworking?

It is operated as a siding from Somerton.
It was staff and ticket, but this was withdrawn once the line re-opened
between Flemington Bridge and North Melbourne.

The track has baulks at the down end of the yard at upfield.  To run a train
between upfield and post 75 you need to get permission from the man. rail
safety.

So with a little work yes you could run a train, but I don't think they would
it would take a couple of days to get ready.

: - Would it be possible to run a train from Spencer Street to Seymour via
: Upfield without a lot of trouble (i.e.. works on the BG goods line at
: Tullamarine, disruption on the Broadmeadows line. Could you take the
: Albury and Shepparton Stuff via Upfield)?

--

Chris Gordon
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord