Re: Longest platform?

Roderick Smith <rodsmith@werple.net.au> wrote in message
01befeac$0095cd40$252e11cb@rodsmith">news:01befeac$0095cd40$252e11cb@rodsmith...
> AFAIK Port Pirie, 701 m
> ahead of Perth.
> ahead of Flinders St pfm 1
>
> Kalgoorlie wasn't really, very long; but still beat Albury (about 5th
> place).
>
> These are top-of-head answers: I will try to check my last research on
this
> faq.
>
> --
> Regards
> Roderick Smith
> Rail News Victoria Editor
>
> Henry's Cat <geracen@wantree.com.au> wrote in article
> <7rjbad$dhm$1@centipede.wantree.com.au>...
> > Westrail announced recently (while my computer was down with
registritis)
> > that the interstate platform at East Perth Terminal was to be lengthened
> > from 670m to 770m to accomodate longer IPs.
> >
> > What's the longest one train platform in Australia? Kalgoorlie?
> >
> > cheers
> > Neil

Just as a point of interest, whilst Flinders Street has got the longest
covered platform in Australia, it is no longer considered to be one
platform. Ie: Platform One and Platform 14, whilst the West end is not used
anymore as a platform, also a barrier railing has been placed along the
platform edge under Swanston Street to protect passengers walking to and
from Platform 14.

However next time you walk in the Elizabeth Street entrance onto Platform 1,
look up at the canopy roof at the platform edge and you will see a fairly
new Hillside style sign that has arrows directing you to Platform 1 and
Platform 1 East, (not 14).

Old habits!!!!!!!

Bob.