Re: 422s - Have they been Sold?

Exnarc <gwrly@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
7r0pn1$2h1v$1@otis.netspace.net.au">news:7r0pn1$2h1v$1@otis.netspace.net.au...

> Andrew Honan <ahonan@zipworld.com.au> wrote in message
> 7r00tp$g6s$1@the-fly.zip.com.au">news:7r00tp$g6s$1@the-fly.zip.com.au...
> > I was told once ( I should check it out properly) that it is not the
> > steaming time of shipping that's the problem (it is only a day's extra
> > steaming time from Darwin to Sydney) but the real cost is in demurrage
and
> > port handling times at Sydney and Melbourne.
> >
> > I would think that  if the shipping companies can get the logistics
right
> > for container movement between Singapore and Darwin that this would be
> huge
> > savings overall. If these containers could then be delivered to
> distribution
> > centers in Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide by rail, then this would be
very
> > efficient.
> >
> > Regards
> > Andrew Honan

> But who buys goods made in Singapore???
>
> Sure a few items such as computer goods are made there but in general,
> Singapore costs are higher than ours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Bob.

It depends if you subscribe to the theory that there is a port 'hub' in
Asia. Rotterdam and Hamburg act as port hubs in Europe. Goods are
transshipped from these hubs.
Airlines also operate hubs such as LA or San Francisco on the west coast of
US and then use feeder routes on short haul.
There may be logistical reasons for a port hub in Singapore and
transshipping to Darwin or having Darwin on an Asian route to Singapore
(from Europe). This may have benefits from a containerization point of view,
and an integrated transport (land and sea) point of view, but would not work
with bulk commodities.
It would be interesting to see the container movements at Sydney, Melbourne
and Adelaide both import and export to Europe, Asia (including Japan) and
the US and then study the shipping times/turn around times.

Regards

Andrew Honan