Re: The Ghan.

Trackwork on the West is the only reason this train runs via the South. The
main reason GSR runs the Ghan (and the I.P.) over the west is to give
passengers a look at the blue mountains. It is also slightly quicker via the
West (slower running, but much shorter distance), although time doesn't mean
a lot as the trip is a rail holiday, not just transport.

Regards,
Russ...