Re: Pendennis Castle

Chris wrote in message
> Pendennis Castle has been removed from the care of the PRHS by Hamersley
Iron as HI own the loco. The PRHS is down to about three active members and
their future is uncertain. Due to the court action where Robe River sought
to gain access to HI's tracks and were knocked back, due to the ruling being
that the railway is part of the mine production process, HI are unwilling to
allow PRHS to run on their tracks as this may set a precedent  and allow
Robe River to mount a successful appeal. There is also the problem of HI's
in-cab signalling system which the preserved locos don't have. All the
stories (or rumours) that I have heard indicate that HI are going to put the
Castle up for sale and it would most likely go back to the UK.

Perhaps Hamersley Iron could do the right thing by both countries and swap
Pendennis Castle for the the world's first Garrat locomotive which I believe
ran on  Tasmania's Dundas tramway but is now in some museum in England.
They could then 'donate' the loco to some Tasmanian museum or the new
National Museum in Canberra.  Imagine the little thing stuffed and mounted
beside 6029!