Re: NRC

Rod Gayford <rjaygee@smartchat.net.au> wrote:

> As we always appear to be about 20 years behind the USA I believe
> nothing will be done about freight railways in Australia until a point
> of almost no return occurs as was the case with US railways about 20
> years ago. Even the worlds most powerful country decided it couldn't
> continue to spend unlimited funds on road transport. Only time will tell
> in Australia. I cannot understand why the Liberal Party philosophy is
> opposed to spending money on rail when its willing to throw huge sums of
> money at airports. Taking market force philosophy to the extreme, if
> Qantas wants to run an airline service then why shouldn't it be made to
> pay for airport infrastructure. Why shouldn't truck companies be forced
> to pay for their own roads or at least pay the same access charges to
> the State Government as it would if rail was used?

Well, I have seen and continue to see what is still
being done.  Australian National were NEVER twenty
years behind, more like twenty years ahead of the
Australian States, they were fighting a losing battle,
thanks to the said states.  AN lost, due to politics.

National Rail Corp running on the base that AN set,
along with their own ideas have made rail a very viable
alternative up here in the Northern Territory and
across the Trans Australia Railway.  When you see NRC
double stacks, which road transport will NEVER be able
to compete with, running fast and on time, you will
know what I mean.

Great Southern, despite some of its short comings has
made long distance rail travel still a viable option,
once again on the base that Australian National set.

As for trucks, it would appear the majority of people
who want to move goods think they have the best
solution in these expensive times.
It would appear from posts in this group the answer is
simple, make trucks pay for their use of the roads in
relation to rail.

Anybody care to explain how, with details.

Lifetime Labor voters exempted.

----Terry Burton
[clear OZ in address for email reply]