Re: Services on City Rail Interurbans

Rod Gayford wrote:

> Put the vending machine where the guard sits. There is ample room for the
> driver. The guard doesn't have to switch ends.

Good idea.  Then, if one guards compartment becomes defective, the train is
cancelled and run empty to a maintenance centre.

> In the old red rattlers in my
> days (I am 52) the spare guards compartment doors were usually locked in the
> open position. There has to a compromise between the amenity of the crew and
> the convenience of paying public.

We do not do this for two reasons.
1) The crew doors can be opened from the inside (not such an issue in red
rattler days)
2) The guards emergency tap is located therein, allowing people to stop the
train at unscheduled locations.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au