Re: Strategic Reserve.

"Steven Hurst" <hurste@primus.com.au> wrote in aus.rail:

>Although it is not on as large a scale as what you say, there was a posting
>about a loco hidden away in sydney (it was stolen from the scrap road).  The
>guy who took it had restored it and has since passed on.  The train was
>regarded as a myth from what I can gather, but now it is exposed, it is
>going through legal stuff, now it will be seen running again.  I haven't
>heard anymore about this on aus.rail - Was it true?  Have I been sucked in
>yet again?
>
>Anyway, why hide locos away?  Just preserve them like we do now, then they
>will be tere if we need them, already in running order.  If they were likely
>to be hiding trains, it would probably be because they were hiding drugs,
>nuclear weapons, or just other illegal stuff inside them!!!!
>
>****The fact is - no one other than us really gives a crap about the damn
>things!****

Steven, it is true! I seen it meself!

The fiendish fiends at DoD have found a develishly clever way of
hiding steam locos in exhibits all over the country! Do you know for
example that the Big Banana is really a 30-class? and the Big Merino
at Goulburn is really a 58-class (minus the tender of course) spirited
away from Goulburn loco one night 3 years after it was supposedly
"scrapped".?

Did you ever hear of the "Big Worm" down at Bass in Victoria? You'll
never believe this but the clever scientists at DoD disguised a rake
of 4-wheel GY's that you can walk through! The absolute give-away is
that every so often grains of wheat fall down from the roof.

My advice to all is to look very, very closely at anything with a
"Big" in the name. If you scratch away at the surface (make sure
no-one is looking - DoD informants are everywhere) you'll soon notice
the smell of coal and oil - a sure sign!

I'm looking for the Vic. N-class steam locos that were supposedly
"built" but never entered service - N's 433-435. A "rumour" I heard
was that they were cleverly disguised as tall chimneys at the Yallourn
Power Station - as I said, the coal and oil smell is a sure sign.

BTW what ever happened to 6043? I heard that it was built and never
entered service but was bricked up in one of the many former railway
tunnels under Sydney...........

Les Brown