Rainbow Centenary Train

Today we ventured westward to inspect the proceedings at Rainbow.  Here then are the
details:

The centenary of the opening of the line to Rainbow falls on 2/11/1999, so today
(31/10/99) a Special Train was run to commemorate this fact.  The train left
Dimboola, picked pax up at Jeparit, before arriving at Rainbow.  2 shuttles were run
to Yaapeet, before returning to Dimboola.

On the return of the first Yaapeet shuttle to Rainbow, 'Bandits' on horseback 'held
up' the train, only to be pursued by the local constabulary.  A mural featuring a
steam locomotive was also unveiled, adjacent to the station grounds.  Another mural
featuring a Orange/Grey V/Line B class hauling VHGY's is also present.

Locomotive G520 (Orange/Grey & lettered V/LINE FREIGHT) was used, the anticipated
utilisation of G529 (in FV Green) did not occur, it suffered from Ground Relays in
Adelaide, where it had been repainted.

Consist was: (from Dimboola End) AG369E, BJ 8, AG371K & VQMX609P.  Each car was from
a different GSR train (The Ghan, The Overland, & Indian Pacific). The container flat
carried a portable generator, for supply of HEP (as well as one container).

The train was operated by Freight Victoria, with FV Dimboola Loco Crew, a NRC
Dimboola driver performed the duties of conductor. (Does this now mean special passes
no longer 'need' a conductor?)  Several other FV staff were present assisting with
passenger control & shunting.

Question time:  Was this the first time a BJ has been to Yaapeet? I'm fairly certain
AG's haven't been to Yaapeet, however.  Also, was this FV's first Passenger Train?

Was our 800km round trip by road worth it?  Well I got a new engine (G520), and I
hadn't been to Yaapeet by SG, so I 'spose it was. |-)

--
Mr Notagunzel.
Rail Transportation Connoisseur.