Re: XPT timetable feedback II

Roderick Smith (rodsmith@werple.net.au) wrote:
> Its weakest feature is the 7.50 arrival in Melbourne.  This could be traded
> off for an earlier departure than 7.30: perhaps by 20 min.

Then you run into problems with platform space. With the 7.50 arrival you
can do the cross at South Dynon Junction.

I don't see the 7.10 departure as a problem except on Sundays - no
suburban trains that early.

> There was also a brief period when the first Bendigo train of the day was
> 7.40.

Reading through an ancient copy of Bradshaw's some years ago I made a note
of a 6.30 Echuca and a 6.35 Albury.

But if we want to talk about early trains, remember the old 4.40 Traralgon?

> Adding to my post on through trains not serving city centres, one example
> which I missed is Newcastle: through trains call at Broadmeadmeadow.

Your through Melvourne - Brisbane trains would probably have to make a 20
minute stop at Broadmeadow to take fuel and provisions.

Cheers
David