Re: Maitland

--
Ray McDermott   raymcd@ozemail.com.au

Richo <richardc@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
38143c70@dnews.tpgi.com.au">news:38143c70@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> My grandmother reminded me recently that West and East Maitland were once
> "transposed" ie Maitland was East Maitland and is now West.
> Can anyone answer:

Maitland is my hometown.  50 years ago (limit of my memory) the Maitland
area stations were: Victoria Street, East Maitland, High Street, West
Maitland, Telarah (NC line), Farley (Main North), East Geta Junction (SMR).
There was no MAITLAND as such.  After Maitland was incorporated as a city,
it was deemed appropriate to rectify this by removing the "West" from west
Maitland Station.

>Did this happen as a result of 1955 floods?

No

> Did the suburban trains from Newcastle run as far as West Maitland before
> the change?

Suburban trains ran beyond (West) Maitland before the name change; to
Cessnock (SMR), Singleton and Dungog.

> Was 1955 when the Morpeth train stopped running. My knowledge of local
> history is limited but I understand that Morpeth was meant to be the main
> town, but like so many the railway bypassed it and the branch was never a
> suitable alternative.

I remember coastal steamers coming up to Morpeth .  There was significant
railway infrastucture there. AFAIK,  Morpeth trains stopped in early 50,s
most likely after the Bowthorne Butter Works closed.

 > Also when was Telarah double tracked?

The original double Telarah line was actually two single lines;  main north
coast and relief.  I think the main was MES and the relief ordinary staff at
first.  Later, single line track control (block?) was used on main.  After
the flood it was converted to double track.  The latest resignalling uses
bi-directional running.

Ray