Book Review - Road through the Wilderness

I have just finished reading David Burke's book 'Road through the
Wilderness' which is the story of the TAR. It is a fascinating story of the
railway's construction and I can recommend it if you want to read about all
the political machinations which accompanied its construction. Until I read
the book I wasn't aware that Henry Deane (of Wolgan Valley fame) was the
first Engineer-in-Chief of the TAR and he resigned due to a smear campaign
against him and lack of support from the Government, in particular the
minister for Home Affairs (King O'Malley) who was responsible for
construction of the railway.

--
Regards,
Chris Stratton