C508 - What a chase!

C508, leading NR62 and NR44 departed on AB6 at 14:15hrs Saturday 16 October.
Here's an account of how I managed to photograph it!

Earlier that afternoon I had been photographing C505 going about its
shunting manouvers at Sth Dynon. Then I decided to go down to the Dock Link
Road end of the yard with the intention of seeing if there was a DL on MX6.
Luckily I travelled via Dynon Road and Sims Street to enter Footscray Road,
which was jammed solid with traffic in the westbound lanes. There had been
an accident on West Gate involving 4 vehicles and a fuel spillage. The
bridge was closed, causing massive traffic headaches for anyone wanting to
head in the Geelong direction.

Anyway as I turned the corner into Dock Link Road, the booms were lowering,
then to my amazement C508, leading the two NR's appeared, obviously on
departure, and wasting no time about it.

So with a quick u-turn, and with the option of heading to Tottenham out of
the question, back I went to City Link - (thank goodness it's open now!),
onto Tulla Freeway and via Mickleham road to Somerton Road. By this time I'm
low on fuel, so with my intentions to get that "must have" shot, I quickly
refuel at a Caltex servo at Somerton. Just as I reach $13.00 worth I see the
train passing Somerton Loop. As luck would have it I have the correct money,
the better half dashes in and throws it on the counter whilst I start the
car, then off we go. It's not easy to sit on the 90kmh limit on the Hume
Highway from Somerton Road to Craigieburn, knowing there's a train in front
doing at least 100kmh.

On the Craigieburn overpass we glance towards the tracks to see AB6 is
wasting no time - at this stage its passing Summerhill Road, halfway between
Craigieburn and Donnybrook. Then we're stopped at the last traffic lights on
the  highway, but it's not over yet! Two semi-trailers carrying steel rod
decide to hog both lanes of the northbound carriageway. For at least 2 to 3
kms, the drivers appear to be racing each other before the right hand one
finally pulls over to the left lane. Meanwhile I'm uttering a few
expletitives!!

Finally I'm able to position myself for a hard and fast run on the freeway,
as we watch in disbelief at the sight of AB6 nudging ahead. I'm trying not
to exceed the 110km limit, knowing that a radar trap  is always a
possibility on this road. Passing Wallan, the train is finally slowing
slightly for the ascent to Heathcote Junction. However I now realise my only
option is to beat it to the Broadford weighbridge, where there's a grade
crossing on a small side road. As we pass Wandong I glance right and see we
are finally ahead of AB6.

I arrive at the weighbridge and set up with only 5 minutes to spare. I'm
joined by two other photographers. We get a nice shot as the train rounds
the corner from Broadford loop.  I'm content to follow to Seymour just in
case there's a cross with WP4, however the last we see of AB6 is the rear
wagon as we pass Dysart.

Also got C508 returning from Junee this morning (Sunday 17/10) BA6, however
it was long end leading behind NR61 and NR56 (blue). Passed Summerhill Road
at 08:45, after departing Junee 03:30.

Look for my shots on Rail Images Australia early next week
--
Peter J. Sweetten
Craigieburn, Victoria