Re: Swan Hill - what's there

Steven Hurst wrote:

> Hi all, I am planning to take a trip to Swan Hill on the train (connecting
> bus and train etc. return is possible on Sundays), and was wondering if when
> I got there there is anything worth looking at - eg. sidings etc. ?

There is nothing beyond the up end of the station. The old cattle yard sidings
are nicely grassed over. The TT is occasionally used and the yard is little
changed from say 40 years ago. I think even the railmotor siding is still there.
The wharf siding is still used (oil depot) and there are a couple of unused oil
depot sidings out along the Piangil track. The *new* cattle sidings have been
removed although the cattle yards still exist.

Last Thursday (14th), the up goods from Piangil arrived with G525 (I think,
can't find my notebook) leading X47 (which was facing Piangil). The G was dead
and they shunted the locos to the yard, uncoupled the X, ran around the G, on to
the TT for a spin, recouple to the Melbourne end of the G, back onto the train
along with three extra wagons, and depart all in the space of about 30'.
Impressive you say, about what one would expect from Dr. Wurr.

David.