Re: when did Vic stop using buffers?

"< Tell >" <telljb@OZozemail.com.au> wrote in aus.rail:

>"Roderick Smith" <rodsmith@werple.net.au> wrote:
>>
>> From memory, conversion to auto couplers started in the mid 1920s; removal
>> of buffers (because the program was so well advanced) commenced in the
>> early 1950s.
>

>Extraordinary, that it took 25 years.

The war kinda slowed the conversion down a bit. Buffer removal took a
step back in importance when the track was falling to bits and all
locos were overdue for routine maintenance.

All the same. The only steam loco that was ever built without buffers
was H220 (The steam S-class was built with buffers in 1929 but lost
them when they were streamlined in 1936-7). Some steamers running in
late 1969-1970 were running buffer-less. I've got pics of a K in
Geelong yard without buffers at around that time.

Les Brown

Les Brown.