Re: a question

SunshineCat <ellen316@NOSPAMprimus.com.au> wrote in message
939285393.708033@diddley.primus.com.au">news:939285393.708033@diddley.primus.com.au...

> i have a question regarding where tracks cross... sort of an X
formation.
> what dictates witch way it will go? is it the speed of the train? or
do the
> drivers have a "steering wheel" of some sort?

Where there is a junction between tracks:

A______________B
      \
       \_______C

It is called a set of points, or turnout for the more technically
minded.  Trains can run from track A to either track B or track C.
Which track the trains take is dependant on which way the points are
'set'.  This is often known as setting the points either 'Normal' or
'Reverse'.

The actual way the train goes one way or the other is through the
position of moveable 'blades' (point blades for British practice,
switch blades for US practice).

Sorry I can't give a URL of a photo, I couldn't find one at short
notice. :o(

I hope you can relax with the knowledge that Train Drivers don't need
a "steering wheel" |-)

--
Mr Notagunzel.
Rail Transportation Connoisseur.