Re: Big train wreck in England!

David Ready <ds_ready@usa.net> wrote in message
2ewK3.542$e6.185223@amsnews02.chello.com">news:2ewK3.542$e6.185223@amsnews02.chello.com...

> What is sickening is that the Southall Great Western train had TWO ATP's
but
> one was turned off and the other was faulty so they must have it on that
> line. Both the trains in this latest incident were new, with black box
> recorders, impact protection etc so it is weird why ATP was not operative.

Wrong, the HST involved at Southall had an AWS and an ATP installation. Two
vastly different systems.

The ATP systems was (still is?) under test and not commissioned. The AWS
system was not operative in the drivers cab.

> The thing is.  Railtrack, the provider of the infrastructure, made a £450
> profit last year. That would buy an awful lot of ATP. I just hope that the
> law suits from this latest incident will end up costing more than the
actual
> cost of any train protection system on any line to make the pollies there
> sit up and take notice.

No it wouldn't buy a lot of ATP. it appears the UK cannot afford a system
wide
ATP system.

Peter Dwyer