Re: DOO In Sydney?

In <oub2N0e6AnhXlaaJXmfVsMR+EcQt@4ax.com> billboltonREMOVE-TO-EMAIL@computer.org (Bill Bolton) writes:

>craigd@lios.apana.org.au (C. Dewick) wrote:

>> How can the driver *reliably* view multiple camera inputs on a single
>> screen at the same time

>How big does a displayed camera image have to be in your opinion, and
>why isn't some "sequencing" of camera images acceptable?

Well, the current size of the Tangara TMS screen is too small if you want a
base point to work from. I'd say probably twice that size at least to enable
enough visualisation ability in a reasonably short ammount of time.

Sequencing of images is ok, but then there are problems caused by the time
taken to look at the whole sequence when more than 2 cameras are involved
(which would be needed on most of the more frequented platforms to cover
peak load contingencies). I think Matthew Geier suggested a 2 second switch
time - this might too short, especially with the poor and highly variable
lighting conditions in the cabs of our trains.

And what happens when the display switches to camera 2 and someone
approaches the train in view of only camera 1 between the time the display
went off camera 1 and the driver shuts the doors, and starts the train
moving? There's a lot of potential for accidents there, and a sequenced
video feed system doesn't really improve this problem at all over the way it
is now with one guard having to look both directions along a train.

>Keep in mind that the guards view of the most distant door from their
>location isn't that "large", even on a straight platform, and that a
>guard can't look in both directions at once in nay case, so also has a
>"sequenced" view of what is happening.

With a camera this would be even less, since the driver's field of view of a
video monitor is only a small portion of his total field of view (unless the
driver moves closer to the display, which causes other problems because of
the limited resolving ability of a pixelised display screen), whereas for
the guard on the spot (or a driver standing at the door on a 4 car set doing
the same thing as a guard) this 'display' takes up the entire field of view.

>> The fundamental issues are still being ignored by everyone as though they
>> don't exist. 8-)

>You need to make out a better case about what is "fundamental" about
>those issues, especially compared to what guards do now as far as
>monitoring door closing?

That's what I've tried to do with my respones above... I presume the people
in CityRail management have looked at the 'model' of the method by which a
guard does his door obstruction, etc. checking under the present
arrangement.

Regards,

Craig.

--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport