Re: Big train wreck in England!

Exnarc <gwrly@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
7tef4d$7tj$1@otis.netspace.net.au">news:7tef4d$7tj$1@otis.netspace.net.au...

> Not quite right David, GWR started installing ATC which is a very
different
> animal to the extemely expensive ATP, which was trialled by BR in
the late
> 80 early 90's and found to be cost prohibative system wide. The GWR
system
> could be over ridden by the Driver by cancelling the alarm as in the
case of
> the Norton Fitzwarren accident in 1941.

> Correct me if I'm wrong, (and I know someone will), don't QR use the
British
> ATP on their electrified tracks somewhere?

QR uses 2 types of ATP like systems, as well as AWS.  The AWS IIRC is
installed in the Brisbane Suburban Area.  Dunno where else though.
The North Coast (Brisbane??/Caboolture?? - Rockhampton) has the
Swedish Erricson ATP fitted, (QR might call this ATC, I can't
remember).  Between Rockhampton & Townsville, the Westect ATP system,
using Westrace processors & data radios, has been installed.  This may
have been installed elsewhere as well, our Queensland correspondants
will know. |-)

Westrace is supposed to be a reletively low cost installation, with
only passive track mounted transponders, the aspect dependant data
being transmitted by Data Radio.

> Another thing to remember is that in the UK the track provider
(Railtrack)
> as well as the operators are privately owned, some thing that we
haven't had
> to contend with in this country, (yet).

> > BR started putting AWS on main lines decades ago. In the case of
SPAD it's
> > supposed to apply the emergency brake. Two SPAD accidents in the
same
> > area, both with HSTs. Coincidence or carelessness?

AWS sounds the buzzer when a driver is dispaying a signal displaying a
restrictive aspect of any sort, it then is 'acknowledged' by the
driver.  If the driver doen't 'acknowlede' within a short time, the
Brakes are applied.  So, if a driver 'acknowleges' a red aspect, he
can drive past, causing a SPAD.

> I believe the ASW was not operating in the case of the Southall
disaster, it
> had been cut out due to a defect.

ASW? Alternative to SafeWorking?  |-)

The HST involved at Southall had full ATP fitted, but had been 'cut
out' due to a fault.  Can't remember what the AWS was doing, it may
have been cut out as well.  All very messy.

I watched part of the 1200 news today on Ch.2, and apparently the DMU
involved passed a signal at Stop, then the track the DMU was on lead
into the track the HST just happened to be passing on.  I haven't seen
anything, but the ironic part is that the HST (being FGW) probably had
full ATP fitted & working.  The DMU *probably* only had AWS fitted.
The same news stated the signal involved had a bad history of being
SPADed, mostly by the DMU operator.

Its also worth noting that Railtrack has recently decided to fit TWPS
to replace AWS at 'high risk' locations, TWPS (Train Warning &
Protection System) being a sort of 'ATP Lite', giving absolute
overspeed & trip protection, at less cost (this is the UK) than full
ATP.

--
Mr Notagunzel.
Rail Transportation Connoisseur.