Re: when did Vic stop using buffers?

Christopher_Martin GORDON (cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au) wrote:
> : Presumably when we stopped using screw couplers.. AFAIK, a gradual process
> : going between the 1920's and the 1960's [Dont quote me on this, i may be
> : very wrong]

> : >I've noticed steam engines with buffers in pictures, and I've noticed
> : early
> : >I and IY wagons with buffers.
> : >Does anyone know when Victoria stopped using buffers, and why. Did all the
> : >wagons before that time have buffers and did they all get removed at some
> : >stage?

> You will also notice when the R class runs a pass train to Geelong there
> is no buffers on the R.

The other three Rs had tender buffers removed during restoration in the
1980s. The front buffers were retained for aesthetic purposes. Can
somebody please check to see if R707, R761 and R766 still have dual
couplers on the tender? Without buffers the screw coupler becomes useless.

The D3 and Ks retained buffers and dual couplers on both ends as they were
more likely to be hauling V cars.

Interestingly, the 1944 R class design (the one with "Poxy" wheels) had no
buffers.

Cheers
David