Re: Train Order working

<snip>
>I believe the communications issue is a furphy as well. If the USN (and the
>RAN, for that matter) can have secure communications with units deployed
>across the world, why is it so hard with trains on a given stretch of line?
>Also, looking at the TAR, if they can operate train orders across the
>Nullabor, there is no reason why it cannot be done from OAG-BHQ. Oh, that
is
>right, Australian railways have to reinvent the wheel, don't they.....
>
>DaveP

Communication problems are a big issue, and not just confined to NR's.
Indeed NR's are probably the least of their problem, as FreightCorp locos
don't have mobile / satellite phone communication when their radio systems
fail.

IMHO the entire FreightCorp train radio system is a mess. The contract
should have gone with the proven system from Motorola, not a failure prone
unproven system from Phillips. 100% communication is achievable with $$$ and
foresight (two things the railways don't use much of).

BTW, train orders over the Nullabor are referred to by train crews as
suicide slips.

Regards,
Russ..