Re: Melbourne Public transport for Special events

Gareth Lumsden <s9763278@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au> wrote in message
> Hill & Bayside's solution is to run six car trains instead of three on
> busy days.  (i.e. throughout the show period, all trains were 6 cars until
> approx 19:00 every night)

I can't help notice that there are more and more 6-car sets running well
after 8.00 p.m..  I take many trains after 8.00 p.m., being a performing
artist, student, and a console operator for Quix in North Bayswater, and
have noticed that it is now very rare for trains to run with only the first
car open.  It's a good idea when you're coming from the city, as when I was
performing in a show at Stonnington Theatre (Deakin Uni, Toorak), I often
took trains after 10.00 p.m. from Glenferrie towards Belgrave.  These trains
were often packed to the gills with people forced to travel in the first
carriage.  Many nights I was forced to wait until the following train half
an hour later because there was no chance a human being my size (5'10",
64kg) could fit anywhere other than having people hold me above their heads
(and as much as I enjoy crowd surfing, I wasn't going to go that far), and
there wasn't that much room there either.  The next train wasn't much
better, as I was basically the last person to fit.  It was like trying to
fit 30 people into a VW Beetle.