Re: NT govt may scuttle Darwin rail

A little off subject.....

The Indonesians will have to work out how to attack it (and what with)
first. They spend about a quarter we do on defence, and would not be able to
maintain anything like air superiority. They have nothing that compares to
F111's and only a small fighter force. The fact is that Australia can put
bombers (F111's) over major indonesian cities and installations and they
cannot in turn to us, this fact is not talked about much since it would
offend and worry the Indonesians. Another thought, if they invaded how the
hell would they maintain supply lies etc over the timor gap when our
defeince force is tuned to anti shipping.

Sure, our defence force has a lot of shortcomings and no upstanding cynical
Australian will ever say they are effective, but I wouldn't write them off
with the old one liner "there is no defence", which is mostly said by people
with little or no knowledge of the relative hardware of the armed forces of
the region.